History of the National Stadium
The National Stadium (Irish: An Staidiam Náisiúnta) or National Boxing Stadium, is located in Dublin, Ireland, is the only purpose built boxing stadium in the World. It was built in 1939 and hosts over 55 Days of boxing each year and a number of other events and performers. The stadium is owned by the Irish Amateur Boxing Association (IABA) and has been used by the IABA for over 106 years as the venue for their national and International competitions.
In December 1999, the then Minister for Art, Sports and Tourism Jim McDaid, announced an IR£1.3m (1.6m euros) grant under the Sports Capital Programme to undertake the refurbishment of the stadium. This two-storey building was provided with a new grey coloured limestone façade during the refurbishment.