Aras an Uachtarain
Now the Residence of the President of Ireland, Áras an Uachtaráin, started as a modest brick house for the Phoenix Park Chief Ranger in 1752. It was subsequently acquired as an "occasional residence" for the Lords Lieutenants and gradually evolved to a large mansion. After Ireland gained independence, it was occupied by three Governors General between 1922 and 1937, prior to the first president Dr Douglas Hyde taking up residence there.
19th century architects Francis Johnston, Jacob Owen and Decimus Burton, and more recently, Raymond McGrath, as well as stuccodores Michael Stapleton and Bartholomew Cramillion contributed to its gradual expansion, gardens and interiors.
The exhibition presents the architecture of the house and details on the lives of its illustrious inhabitants, with a special section on the incumbent president, Dr Mary McAleese.
Location: In the Phoenix Park, signposted from the Phoenix Monument 4km from centre of Dublin